water with lemons
Weight Loss Enhancement: Benefits of Drinking Water
January 27, 2017
fruit in bowls
Weight Loss Enhancement: Nutrition
February 9, 2017

Around 3.1 million Americans are on a gluten free diet. However, only 28% of them suffer from the autoimmune disease, Celiac Disease. Celiac affects the small intestine and reacts specifically to gluten. So, why have the other 72% cut the common ingredient from their diet? Find out what happens to your body when you go gluten free.

What Are the Benefits of a Gluten Free Diet?

Many people follow a gluten free diet, but aren’t suffering from Celiac Disease. They claim eliminating gluten has caused a monumental improvement in their symptoms of gut discomfort. No current research offers any reason to believe physical improvement will come from eliminating gluten from the diet of anyone without Celiac Disease. However, these claims and the popularity of the diet will certainly lead to further research.

Avoiding gluten can cause nutritional deficienciesBasket of bread

What does gluten free mean? When you remove gluten from your diet, you miss out on whole grains including wheat, barley, and rye. Any time you eliminate a whole category of food, you run the risk of nutritional deficiencies. Gluten free diets, specifically, put you at high risk for iron and calcium deficiencies, so it’s important to find ways to get those nutrients elsewhere.

Following a diet that is somewhat gluten free is not the secret to feeling better and avoiding nutrition deficiency. Trace amounts of gluten can damage the small intestines. Therefore, sticking to a nutrition plan that is almost gluten free isn’t helpful at all. If someone has a gluten sensitivity, he or she will experience the symptoms of gluten intake after very minimal gluten consumption. Damage will occur and it will take some time to get back to a balanced feeling in the stomach.

Along with potential risks, a gluten free diet has some positive possibilities. The diet change may lower the risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and some cancers. It’s also impossible to ignore the claims of real people experiencing symptom relief.

Find a Nutrition Plan that Works for You

If you’re looking to experience weight loss or a healthier gut, it’s time for a new nutrition plan. Visit Active Body Sculpt for a free consultation to get started building yours. Gluten free could be the key to feeling more comfortable. We can help make sure you don’t suffer from potential nutritional deficiencies as you find the diet that benefits you most.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *